In the early hours of 30th December 1940, Herbert Mason, a photographer for the Daily Mail newspaper went up on to the roof of his offices on Tudor Street (just off Fleet Street) and took a photo looking east at St Paul’s Cathedral.
This iconic Art Deco 55 Broadway building was constructed in the 1930s to act as a headquarters for London Underground, and was designed by Charles Holden.
Is there any truth to the oft-repeated rumour that Henry VIII’s second wife Anne Boleyn, had an extra finger on her right hand? Or a Tudor lie used by Henry as another reason to behead her so he could marry Jane Seymour?
The Black Friar pub was built in 1875 on the south western end of the site of a former medieval Dominican friary which was there from 1276 to the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII in 1539.
Edward II died at Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire on 21st September 1327 and is buried at Gloucester Cathedral.
In the village of East Bergholt the building of a bell tower for the church of St Mary the Virgin was started in 1525 with assistance promised by Cardinal Wolsey.
Lloyd's Coffee House, on Tower Street was a significant meeting place in London in the 17th and 18th centuries.
In the spring of 2010, archaeologists found six timber piles on the foreshore at Nine Elms which would have been part of a bridge to an island in the River Thames.
On August Bank Holiday Monday each year at 4pm, one of the Cotswolds' most quirky and iconic events, takes place in the centre of Bourton-on-the-Water.
The Flask pub goes back to an era when Highgate was a small village on the outskirts of London, with the oldest part (the stable block) dating back to 1663.
Two men who put the stone circle at Avebury on the map never met, but both had a passionate interest in the stone circle.
Bankside Power Station was built in two phases between 1947 and 1963. It replaced a previous power station.
A historic letter found a few years ago indicates the Nazis plan to assassinate Sir Winston Churchill with a bar of exploding chocolate.
William ‘Basher’ Dowsing (1596 – 1668) was born in Laxfield, Suffolk, was a puritan and made his name during the English Civil War (1642-49), a war that split the country between Parliament and Royalty.
Dr Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) was a poet, essayist, literary critic and lexicographer. He is known for writing ‘A Dictionary of the English Language’, which took him 9 years, whilst he lived in Gough Square.
The Earl of Carnarvon is a title that has been created three times in British history. The current holder is George Herbert, 8th Earl of Carnarvon. The position of the Earl of Carnarvon has resided at Highclere Castle since 1679.
The first garden we visited on Sunday as part of Open Garden Squares weekend was the garden of the Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers.
The Isle of Thanet lies at the most easterly point of Kent. We visited its main towns; Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate.
Mortimer Wheeler (1890 – 1976) and Tessa Wheeler (1893 – 1936) were archaeologists who excavated the Roman remains of Verulamium (now St Albans).
Many superstitions during the Tudor period dated back to traditions and beliefs from much earlier times.
One of the interesting things about visiting an attraction like Bletchley Park is seeing it evolve over that time, not only from investment, but also evolution in understanding what they did!
Alexander Pope (1688 – 1744) was a poet and writer and has become the second-most frequently quoted writer
Peter Rabbett, Jeremiah Fisher, Mr Nutkins, Mr Brock and Mr McGregor have all been found on stones at Brompton cemetery
Jerome Klapka Jerome (1859 – 1927) was a writer, best known for the comic travelogue Three Men in a Boat, which was published in 1889.
The two storey Swiss Chalet, where Dickens wrote some of his greatest works, was used by him from 1865 until his death in 1870.
Sir Hans Sloane was born in 1660 in the North of Ireland, in relatively modest circumstances
In Elizabethan times, plays generally took place at 2pm in the afternoon, with the actors rehearsing the play in the morning and putting it on in the afternoon.
Hyde Park was established by Henry VIII in 1536 when he took land from Westminster Abbey to be used as a hunting ground.
Ley lines are ancient, straight 'paths' or routes in the landscape which are believed to have spiritual significance.
Thomas Coram was born in Lyme Regis, Dorset in 1668, his mother died when he was three years old and his father was believed to be a master mariner.
Edith Margaret Williams was born in 1872 in Bath and become a ‘physical culture’ instructor specialising in gymnastics, boxing and wrestling.
Many of the jobs created in London’s docks during the 19th century were badly paid. Others were seasonal or casual, which meant that people were only paid when work was available.
The first painting owned by the National Portrait Gallery was in 1856 and is known today as the Chandos painting.
Mithraism was a mystery religion centred on the god Mithras. It was practised in the Roman Empire from the 1st to the 4th century CE.
At last Sunday’s visit to the Queen’s Gallery, there was a painting on display called ‘The Lord Mayor’s Winter-Procession on the Thames‘.
Walking around the City of London, you might notice some light blue painted Police telephone posts.
Upon visiting Handel’s House Museum/Hendrix’s flat in London last Saturday, I noticed an odd looking object on the wall in the corner of Jimi Hendrix’s bedroom.
The Great Bed of Ware is an extremely large oak four poster bed which sits in room 57 of the V&A Museum.