The Devil's Dyke V-shaped dry valley is the result of solifluction and river erosion more than 14,000 years ago. In the late 19th century though, it was turned into an adventure park.
The building that houses the Cinema Museum today is the former admin block of the Lambeth Workhouse. The Lambeth Workhouse was built between 1871-73 and closed in 1920. It could house up to 800 people, although probably held a lot more. It consisted of an admin block, gatehouse and 3 blocks, with one housing men,... Continue Reading →
The Black Friar pub was built in 1875 on the south western end of the site of a former medieval Dominican friary which was there from 1276 to the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII in 1539.